Sunday, January 18, 2009

DIY Color Depositing Hair Conditioner


If you color your hair, no matter how well you care for it, after a couple of weeks, your color will start to fade. I've tried various store bought hair depositing conditioners and hated all of 'em. I whined about this so much, that my hair stylist finally gave me the ultimate solution. Because I'm in a generous mood (and because I'm not planning on going into the hair coloring business anytime soon :D ), I decided to share.....

DIY COLOR DEPOSITING HAIR CONDITIONER

First, mix equal amounts of your color of choice and 10 or 20% developer (I use between 1/2 and 1 oz. of each).

Add an approximately equal amount of your favorite lightweight conditioner, i.e. about 2 oz

Apply to towel dried hair. Leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse.

N.B. If you only want a temporary color boost, similar to the packaged color depositing conditioner like they sell at Sephora, omit the developer.

Finally, don't be tempted to mix a batch of this stuff. It won't keep. Just make enough of one use.

In addition to being an awesome way of renewing your color, you can also use it to adjust your color. You can add more red, tone down the red, add depth, etc.

I have used the mixture with the developer maybe once a month in the past - the version without the developer, I've used a few times a week at times - this has NEVER DAMAGED MY HAIR IN ANY WAY when used with this frequency. YMMV, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEGENDARY! The best dupe for SkinMedica's recently discontinued TNS Advanced+ Serum

  Recently SkinMedica discontinued the TNS Essential Serum and their TNS Advanced+ Serum is seen as the upgraded version.  But Beauty Wonket...