Saturday, April 4, 2009

Could it be MAGIC??? Beauty Wonkette wonders....


Okay. FOR THE MOST PART (ahem), Beauty Wonkette really doesn't believe in magic. Really. So, when Beauty Wonkette read about Nude Skincare's Smoothing Body Refiner she sighed. You see, Nude claims that in clinical trials, this product reduced body weight by an average of 6.1lbs whilst waist, hip and thigh measurements were reduced by an average of 3/4" each. Uh huh. Suuuuuuure.

Well, I have to tell you that I deserve a smack in the face for being so cynical. I'm honestly impressed by this stuff. In fact, I think I may have developed an addiction to it. But first, a little bit about the company....

Nude is an eco-friendly skincare range fairly new to the American market, founded by Bryan Meehan, an Irishman who set up Fresh & Wild (sort of their version of Whole Foods). The line uses biocompatible ingredients that can be effectively utilized by the skin and safely metabolized by the body. This, as it turns out, is the key to the products' successful results and what sets it apart from other "natural" and/or "organic" product lines that are often nice, but not terribly effective.

Let's see. What else might you find interesting about the company? Well, founder Bryan Meehan's partner in Nude is Ali Hewson, wife of U2's Bono and a huge eco-friend. Ali is also dedicated to ethical business and has been instrumental in designing and testing the range and also pushing Nude to ensure their packaging and environmental impact are as responsible as possible. They are dedicated to producing products free from chemicals you would rather your body didn't absorb and are organic as much as possible. Christy Turlington and Helena Christensen have also been said to have lended some helping hands in product development.

I spent some time reading through their website and I was struck by the fact that they really seem very earnest and honest. Their products seem to receive uniform raves, with beauty editors on both sides of the pond referring to their cleansing facial oil as THE BEST cleanser ever. All of this is why I was so surprised by what I considered to be outrageous claims regarding the Smoothing Body Refiner.

Now, here's my story. Beauty Wonkette's older sister is obsessed, and I do mean OBSESSED OBSESSED OBSESSED with cellulite. She's tall and slender and in phenomenal shape, especially for someone who has had 3 kids - 2 of them twins! But, she DOES have some cellulite. Let me correct that. She DID have some cellulite. A few months ago, we went to a family wedding down in Florida and when we hit the pool, I noticed that every last trace of cellulite was GONE. Her skin looked absolutely fantastic. She said all credit was due to Nude Smoothing Body Refiner.

Fast forward. I can't really say I have cellulite, but for whatever reason - maybe because our new house has baseboard heat or because a grueling work schedule has deprived me of my full dose of body pampering - this winter has really taken a toll on my body's skin. About six weeks ago, I realized that I really looked like crap. So, I marched off to Sephora and got me some Nude stuff....

In texture, it's somewhere between a gel and a cream. According to Nude's website, "stimulating organic mountain ash, phytoactive ginger and ginkgo increase localised circulation and detoxify whilst green coffee and organic fig extract tone for visibly smoother, firmer skin. Bioactive peptides reduce the signs of aging whilst nourishing cupuacu butter keeps skin smooth and supple." It has a light, fresh scent and absorbs quickly into skin. It comes packaged in a sleek bottle with a pump dispenser that actually works. Recommended use is to apply it twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening. I'm only applying in the morning and I can tell you I am definitely seeing results. These aren't staggering, mind-blowing changes, but noticeable changes for the better.

The appearance of my skin is more toned and it also feels firmer to the touch. And, it is definitely smoother and more taut. Nude claims their particular variety of ingredients help the body flush fat cells. Fat cells or otherwise, my body is definitely ridding itself of something! About a week after using the product daily I noticed I was peeing ALOT more often without increasing my water or other liquid intake (although I should note that I do drink ALOT of water). I consider it a positive, cleansing effect, but I'm not really sure.

It isn't cheap. About 7 ounces will set you back $70. But, the bottom line is that it really does seem to do exactly what it promises. Beauty Wonkette is willing to shell out the bucks for a product that has ingredients and packaging that she feels good about and is also impressively effective. In fact, I think I'm going to try out that facial cleansing oil everyone is raving about....

The Nude line is available at Sephora, Barneys NY, and Space NK, as well as the Nude Skincare website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEGENDARY! The best dupe for SkinMedica's recently discontinued TNS Advanced+ Serum

  Recently SkinMedica discontinued the TNS Essential Serum and their TNS Advanced+ Serum is seen as the upgraded version.  But Beauty Wonket...